Vegetarian Chili and Steel Cut Oats
Up Your Game-Vegetarian Chili and Steel Cut Oats with Yogurt
My daughter mistakenly used steel cut oats instead of the rolled variety in a batch of oatmeal cookies many years ago and we devoured them. Ever since, I’ve been trying to find different ways to incorporate this healthy whole grain into different recipes. We love the crunch it adds.
When I had the chance to develop a recipe for Bob’s Red Mill® using their award winning cereal along with a Stonyfield yogurt, I was up for the challenge to create a savory dish. I’ve used many Bob’s products for years. Being a pescatarian, their grains, beans and seeds are a regular part of my diet. The transparent food values of both companies are strongly aligned with those of Green With Renvy.
A few grains of wisdom:
- The USDA recommends three 16 gram servings of whole grains a day. A single serving of Bob’s Red Mill
- Bob’s Red Mill is the only brand outside of Scotland to ever win the coveted Golden Spurtle Award for the world champion of oatmeals.
- A spurtle is a traditional Scottish wooden tool for making porridge.
- The world famous Canyon Ranch Spa recommends steel cut oats as the most nutritionally complete way to start your day.
- By replacing sour cream with Stonyfield Grassfed yogurt you know it’s organic, non GMO and made from happy cows. ♥
- Steel cut oats are heart healthy helping to reduce cholesterol and full of nutritional value.
- Whole grains contain all 3 parts of the edible part of kernel. Loaded with fiber, complex carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and antioxidants-HEALTHY!
- There is a Gluten Free version of steel cut oats available as well.
Vegetarian Chili and Steel Cut Oats with Yogurt
- 1 24 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2 chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup steel cut oats (I recommend Bob’s Red Mill ®)
- 1 12 oz. beer of choice-the more flavorful the better (don’t worry all the alcohol cooks off)
- 2 clove garlic chopped
- 1 T. chipotle chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. ground oregano
- Toppings: grated cheddar cheese, yogurt, jalapeño peppers, chopped avocado, lime wedges
Put tomatoes and beer in crock pot and turn on high so it can start heating while you get everything else together. Add remaining ingredients and continue on high until you can see its heated thru. Turn to low and allow to cook for 4-5 hours. Yes it’s that simple and oh so tasty on this Meatless Monday.
Pin Me ♥ Vegetarian Chili and Steel Cut Oats with Yogurt
Disclosure: I am a Stonyfield Ambassador and receive product samples and compensation for sharing Stonyfield news and products with my dear readers. As always, thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and I would never promote a product that I have not used myself.