Meatless Monday-Light Refreshing Avocado Soup
Summertime calls for cold soups. In light of the recent heat wave, its especially good to have a few in your repertoire. This one is super easy and with a great whole wheat baguette is perfect for one of the hot evenings we surely have in our future.
Avocado and Corn Chowder (serves 4 for dinner-6 for a 1st course)
2 ripe avocados, 1c.vegetable broth, 1/2 c. orange juice, 1t. honey, 11/2 c. water, 3 ears sweet corn, 1 red pepper, 3 green onions, 3T cilantro, kosher salt and pepper, 1 lime.
- Cook 3 ears of corn in 1” of water until done-approx. 5 minutes. Cut kernels off the cob, putting the kernels from 1 ear in Cusinart or blender. Put the rest aside for later use.
- Peel and add one avocado to blender along with one loosely chopped green onion.
- Add 1c. vegetable broth, orange juice and honey and process until fairly smooth. The mixture will be quite thick. Pour the water in a slow stream until the desired consistency is reached. I stopped after about 1 c. water. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop remaining green onions & red pepper and separate the corn kernels. Add 1/2 of each to body of soup, mix well, and save the rest for garnish. Chop cilantro and save for garnish.
- Chill for several hours. Taste and adjust seasonings. Just before serving cut remaining avocado. Serve. with remaining garnishes and avocado sprinkled on top in each bowl. Squeeze wedge of lime in each bowl and enjoy!