Armchair Travel No.21
I can’t get enough of New England right about now. The weather in combination with the vibrant, rich colors of fall make this time of year hard to beat. I wouldn’t want to do anything but armchair travel when Mother Nature looks this good. Who can even remember that winter is around the corner?
- Have you ever dreamt of following in some version of Thoreau’s footsteps? What happens when terror or boredom takes over the day in a picturesque slice of Alaska? A beautifully written piece on finding meaning in a day.
- I may be contradicting myself here…but this much is true-Winter will arrive again-Inspiration for your next island getaway.
- When I was in Ireland, I consumed a lot of salmon. I recently came across Salmon, A Global History by Nicolaas Mink and thought it would be a good idea to get educated about this fish swimming in controversy with commercial fishing and global warming. This book looks like a good way to begin. On the west coast, big trouble looms as wild salmon competes with almonds for California’s water. You might be able to eat it raw, smoked, or in a fishcake but this staple around the globe brings about rich debate.
- Thrilled to hear that some big companies (like Panera, General Mills and Kraft) are taking artificial dye colors out of the food equation. Plant based dyes are taking over.
- Interesting to read that Mark Bittman is moving over to the au courant food-delivery sector and joining The Purple Carrot. Capturing a unique division of the market with plant based meals, it will be interesting to see how he moves in as Chief Innovation Officer.
- Ever wonder what it would be like to travel 200 miles in a dugout canoe down Botswana’s Okavango River? Take a ride with NatGeo.
- Speaking of Botswana, her are 6 reasons why we should all visit it again and again.
- I’d be so sad to see some of these passport changes implemented. Mine is filled with memories.
- Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday, so it’s only natural that I might jump on board the concept of a Friendsgiving!
Enjoy your weekend friends and if it’s fall in your part of the world-take advantage of the great outdoors.