5 Reasons to Embrace Meatless Monday
I was so busy taking photos and cooking today that the time simply slipped away from me. I hope you’ll forgive me for digging into the archives and posting a reminder of why it’s a great idea to go Meatless on Monday. A delicious recipe awaits next week, and your summer will be stretched out just a bit longer!
- Reduce Your Impact on the Planet-If everyone in the US skipped meat and cheese just once a week, it would be like taking 7.6 million cars off the road.
- Lighten Up on Your Saturated Fat-Changing your diet once a week can reduce your saturated fat by as much as 15%
- Discover New Foods-Step out of your comfort zone, and take a walk on the wild side. You won’t quibble with Quinoa!
- Reduce our dependence on Fossil Fuel-It takes, on average, 40 calories of energy to produce a calorie of beef. Compare that to 2.2 energy calories for vegetables.
- Fight Diabetes-Research indicates that people with a higher consumption of red and processed meat have an increased chance of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
There are many other reasons for making a change in your diet. Paul McCartney, Mario Batali and Russell Simmons have all come aboard. What is the reason you joined the Meatless Monday movement? Or better yet-I’d love to hear from anyone who doesn’t think its a good idea…