Meatless Monday – Roasted Shrimp and Cauliflower Soup
3/4 lb of medium shrimp
1 medium cauliflower
1 sweet onion
1 clove garlic
1 medium potato-chopped small
Freshly ground pepper
3 cups vegetable stock
3/4 c unsweetened coconut milk
Smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine, but the smoked variety lends a deep flavor)
1 t fresh thyme leaves plus a few stems for garnish
3T Parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
1 c torn kale leaves
1/4 c good olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean and devein shrimp (tails off). Toss shrimp with 1T. Olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in shallow pan for 8 minutes until pink and cooked through and allow to cool.
- Cut the heads and a bit of stalk off of the cauliflower. Separate the cauliflower into small florets. Toss with 1 1/2 T olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Adjust oven temp to 375 and roast until edges are golden (tossing once) about 25-30 minutes.
- In frying pan cook chopped onion and garlic in 1T olive oil until onion is translucent. Add potato and chopped thyme and coat.
- Transfer the cauliflower, onion, stock and coconut milk into stock pot and cook until potatoes are done, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Purée the soup in a blender-being careful to allow steam to escape if the soup is still hot.
- Chop shrimp, and keep warm. Serve soup, garnishing with a hefty serving of shrimp if this is your main course. Top with a small dollop of pesto and sprinkling of smoked paprika. Finish with thyme sprigs